[ExI] DVD Movie Review- "Margin Call"

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 25 00:45:08 UTC 2012

While not strictly extropic, this list often discusses the current market economic system and how to make it better. This film is a close up look into the lives about a dozen fictionalized Wall Street bankers who are cought up in the middle of the crash of 2008. Although the firm they work for is a fictitious one, the film is so realistic that you are convinced the film is about Lehman Brothers. The film is remarkably objective in that the bankers are portrayed as human enough for you to feel as much sympathy for them as you allow yourself to as you watch their angst and hand-wringing leading up to their deliberately poison the nation's economy with MBS in order to preserve their own wealth. The only judgement the film-makers pass is allegorical with Kevin Spacey burying his dead dog in his ex-wife's yard.

In any case, the film was an eye opener for me and I am sure the film will give this list lots of grist for discussion. It's out on DVD so it's well worth a rental.

Stuart LaForge “Institutions will try to preserve the problem to which they are the solution." -Clay Shirky