[ExI] Wrestling with Embodiment

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Wed Jan 25 14:02:40 UTC 2012

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Stefano Vaj
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2012 5:44 AM
To: ExI chat list
Subject: Re: [ExI] Wrestling with Embodiment

On 24 January 2012 00:30, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

>But much of biological cognition is strongly hardware dependent

"I am quite skeptical as the existence of forms of cognition, or any other
information processing for that matter, that would be "hardware dependent"
at all.

"The real question remains however of what kind of performance hit you are
going to suffer by running some of, or all, the relevant routines on
"hardware" which can be much, much less optimised to do so.

"This is why, BTW, in spite of steampunk fantasies to the contrary we do not
seriously consider the development of AGIs on punch-card machines.

I have to say I agree Stefano.  And I am surprised that Andes does not
include, on some level, chemistry since he is a neuroscientist.  In fact,
Margulis + Sandberg AGI model might be fascinating.

Natasha