[ExI] Wrestling with Embodiment

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Fri Jan 27 14:45:53 UTC 2012

Anders wrote:

On 26/01/2012 13:25, Natasha Vita-More wrote:
> "I think computational codes are universal, so that any form of
> transhuman modification/extension can be seen as modifying the code."
>
> Are you saying that all perceptual and psychological attributes of the
human
> body can be negotiated and in doing so, can transform these
> molecular/chemical actions and reactions into computer codes?

"What do you mean by the word "negotiated" in that question? I am not
sure, and hence unable to answer."

Design terminology, meaning how to decide.

> Okay, here is an problem:
> You have two well-informed and skilled experts in the domain of AGI. They
> are equally skilled, give or take, but they are different. One is dyslexic
> and the other has aspersers syndrome.  How would they approach uploading?
> Might they "see" it or approach it somewhat differently?

"Do dyslectic and Asperser carpenters make different furniture?

The furniture, if commissioned, would based on the design formula or model.
How the furniture maker gets there is not.  So, the mental processes the
dyslectic and Asperser's carpenters go through, would be different most
likely, unless they are on drugs to help the brain form "normal"
connections.

"Do hetero or gay composers make different music?"

Are you suggesting gays and straights have different neurological
functioning?

"I think the answer is: sometimes.
It depends a bit on the project: some domains have much more degrees of
freedom and hence depend more on who is doing them and their style of
work. But even in very constrained domains there is often space for
different choices (what kind of joints in the drawers?), and if there
are enough such choice points style will be noticeable."

Is the chemistry of the brain and it electrical firings, that sometimes are
different (as with Dyslectic and Aspersers) based on choice?

I'm not necessarily looking at the outcome, although your bring up an
important point.  Maybe the processes don't matter and we should be just
focused on the outcome, but I am not convinced.