[ExI] what big eyes you have

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Jul 12 15:27:25 UTC 2012

Why do big beasts have big eyes?  I get why small beasts have small eyes
(packaging considerations) but human eyes are about the size of a ping pong
ball and they seem to work fine; they can see close, they can see far.
Eagles have smaller eyeballs than ours, but they work even better.  So why
don't elephants and cows have ping pong ball sized eyes?  I can't think of
any advantage to eyeballs scaling with the size of the beast, but I can
think of some serious disadvantages, such as they would be more easily
injured and would be more affected by gravity.  Granted an elephant with
little beady human eyes would look weird, but we would get used to it.  So
why didn't evolution think of it by now?