[ExI] Artificial Battles

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Jul 15 00:18:42 UTC 2012

In Sweden you also have a real thesis defense, where not only a board of
professors judge the dissertation and your explanations, but an opponent
who at least in theory will try to ask hard questions. Of course, this
being modern Sweden, this is not too adversarial - you don't go up for a
defense unless you have a sufficiently good thesis, and the opponent
usually doesn't go for the jugular. Back in the day it could be far more
tough, and in the old system you also had a "second opponent" to give
you help and sometimes a "third opponent" to make jokes to keep people
awake (kid you not).

There is something relevant here: in order to bring out quality, you
need not just encouragement but also honest criticism - especially of
important weak points. And that requires somebody who has incentives to
be honest and cut to the bone, not just keep people happy. Security is
best tested by red teams who actually try to break it, science is
advanced by people testing theories to the breaking point.

The problem is the incentive structure. Most bosses do not like being
shown their mistakes by red teams, and academics will often build
strange coalitions to review papers nicely. The institutional frameworks
we build should be aware of *why* they are supposed to reward artificial
battles, so that they can try to avoid accidentally rewarding the wrong
behavior.

Markets are typically not *intended* to produce innovation and
efficiency, it is just that they tend to do it under a range of
circumstances. We can set up institutions to favor beneficial
competition (patents, SEC, antitrust regulations, etc), but again these
institutions need to be kept on the track. That in turn requires further
criticism and artificial battles - and hence other institutions. It is
checks and balances all the way down.

As for academia, I wonder if we shouldn't have a duty to act as
wandering opponents who show up unnanounced at random offices and ask
pertinent questions from time to time. Eric Drexler has suggested that
we might have a "duty to respond" to claims we hear, making sure that
each intellectual encounter leaves a bit of logged trace data.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute