[ExI] self-driving cars again

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Jul 15 16:37:41 UTC 2012

Subject: Re: [ExI] self-driving cars again

>...This was in the VERY next email I read... LOL

>...http://www.ted.com/talks/chris_gerdes_the_future_race_car_150mph_and_no_
driver.html

-Kelly

WOW Excellent.  Almost as if Gerdes read my mind, he has a picture at 50
seconds into the video of what I was describing yesterday: a half scale
sprint car.

He starts out my talking about times when you are driving where your mind
really isn't on the task.  Cars are so easy to operate, especially if you
have automatic transmission, they take very little brain activity, but
riding a motorcycle safely requires attention and at least a few brain
cycles.  Over the years on four occasions I have been out riding and decided
my concentration was insufficient for the task, so in all four cases I
turned around and went back home.

This is an exciting new thing.  I have always loved car racing, but even I
have to admit it does get boring, even to enthusiasts.  This notion of robot
racing is really cool Kelly, thanks.