[ExI] StemCells Inc.and Alzheimer's.

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 27 00:10:15 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 4:26 PM, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:
> Remember that 75% of the input to the lateral geniculate nucleus comes from
> the cortex, not the eye.

Nope, can't remember that; it's the first I've heard of such.

>> Why should our memories be any more or less malleable than so-called real
>> time?
>
> Because they would then be useless. Memory is about storing past information
> so that it can guide future decisions - if it is too malleable you don't get
> enough information into the future.

How much is enough?  I don't feel I ever recorded "enough" in the
first moment.  I also feel like this is effect is getting worse as
more information changes state in each moment of the world in which we
live.  It is already such that the Internet remembers more about the
90's, 80's, 70's than I will ever recall.  No doubt the Internet will
soon know more about my life than even my wife is aware of my life (or
than *I* am aware of my life).  This is partially a problem of
attention-span and largely a fact that machines are better at
remembering stuff humans.

... but I expect that you will find that sentiment wrong for many
reasons.  I understand.