[ExI] Aerographite

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Jul 28 05:08:23 UTC 2012

Subject: Re: [ExI] Aerographite

>...Would it make any difference if you had a blue million VERY SMALL
(nanoscale) balls with the air all or partially evacuated, as opposed to one
larger structure? Does that change the math? I know really small stuff
sometimes behaves radically differently... of course you would have more
weight in the overall walls, with more walls, so maybe it doesn't work
anyway... Thoughts?

-Kelly

In general, the mass of a pressure vessels made of any isotropic material
will scale as the cube of the linear dimension, as will its volume.  For
instance, if you have a spherical steel pressure vessel of 100 kg that holds
10 kg of air, then one with twice the diameter will have a mass of 800 kg
and hold 80 kg of air.  I don't think you gain anything by scaling downward.