[ExI] self driving cars

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Jun 2 15:58:20 UTC 2012

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Stephen Van
Sickle
.

>>.Suggestion: we create a special class of self-driving vehicles
specifically
designed for delivery purposes.

>.Brad Templeton talks about this pretty extensively here:

>.http://www.templetons.com/brad/robocars/deliverbots.html

>.In fact, I don't think there is any facet of robocars he hasn't thought of
and discussed on his site. --s

Steve thanks man, Brad really has been doing some deep thinking about this.
I need to meet him, since I think he is a local.  I am pretty sure he and I
have crossed paths, but I don't recall the exact circumstances or when it
was.  The technophile crowd tends to hang out at the same happenings.

Here's an idea I didn't see on any of Brad's posts in his blog.  Robo-cars
enable super-efficient Diesel powered series hybrid drive.  We don't have
that in human guided vehicles, because the acceleration is too slow which is
frustrating to meat-based guidance and control systems.  The software
wouldn't care if the acceleration is about the same as the yellow school
bus, or possibly a little slower than that.  If we go that route, we keep
the small Diesel motor spinning full throttle, full load, optimum speed,
maximum efficiency most of the time.