[ExI] Bringing new life to dead matter

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 06:30:07 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 5:34 PM, The Avantguardian
<avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]

This is a compelling argument. I particularly liked the kid's science
project. Nice one. I think I did underestimate plants. Still,
consciousness?

>> All chemicals work
>> with information, but informational processing doesn't equal
>> consciousness. Most people don't consider computers conscious (yet)
>> but they process way more information than a plant.
>
> Last I heard human brains process information electrochemically with chemical neurotransmitters. Plants are a network of living cells. Nervous systems are a network of living cells. The key difference could simply be connectivity. Neurons are each connected to more other neurons than plant cells which are simply connected to the neighboring cells they touch.

And speed. Speed is always part of the measure of intelligence.

> One possible way to define a "unit" of consciousness is through an environmental sensory-behaviorial feedback loop. For example a simple thermostat might be considered conscious in a rudimentary way: It senses the temperature of it's environment and then turns on or off the HVAC system accordingly. Computers sense and respond to their users unless one gives them senses other than a keyboard, then they can be programmed to respond to other stimuli. So I guess what I am asking is that if consiousness is *not* information processing then what else might it be?

OK... maybe I'm defining consciousness more in terms of "self
awareness"... I don't know how self awareness is related to
consciousness, but when I think of consciousness, that's sort of the
kind of thing that pops into my head. And no, I do not think that a
switch is self aware. Plants? I dunno.

-Kelly