[ExI] Physical limits of electromagnetic launchers

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sat Jun 9 16:12:47 UTC 2012

On 2012-06-07 00:39, Jeff Davis wrote:
> If the probe is inbound to a technologically advanced star system,
> then one can avoid braking entirely by transmitting a "virus" that
> hijacks a bit of the local manufacturing capacity.  It should be
> possible to determine ahead of time -- perhaps even prior to launch --
> if the destination system has the needed tech.  Then the probe listens
> and evaluates en route, and configures the virus accordingly.  Some
> thought might be given as to whether this is excessively "unfriendly".

Yes, this works if you just want to go where there are already an
installed infrastructure. It is not useful if you happen to be the first
civilization to expand or if you want to colonize *everything*. It is
useful if you care mainly about existing civs - either as competitors or
as friends.

We have been thinking about wild approaches to arriving at destinations
like shining lasers at it to induce the formation of a crude replicator
that builds a better one with a receiver and then remote-directed
construction, but I have not seen any compelling arguments that this is
feasible (and diffraction limits suggest it is not possible - you can't
get enough resolution over the distance unless you have an absurdly
large transmitter and very short wavelengths). In fact, it would be a
very interesting research project to delineate just how much fine
manipulation is possible over distance using different energy levels,
wavelengths etc. My conjecture is that unless the substrate is designed
for it (i.e. an empty computer waiting for a command) nearly all forms
of complex manipulation have to be local.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute