[ExI] conformal cyclic cosmology

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 07:17:50 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 11, 2012 at 2:02 AM, Mike Dougherty wrote:
> http://t.co/3h0px63O
>
> Are layman analogies acceptable models for discussion on a topic like this?

This article is recycled from a two year old Discovery magazine article.
I remember it being debunked at the time.

A search produces:
<http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=no-evidence-of-time-before-big>

Quote:
No Evidence of Time before Big Bang
Latest research deflates the idea that the Universe cycles for eternity.

December 10, 2010 By Edwin Cartlidge

Our view of the early Universe may be full of mysterious circles --
and even triangles -- but that doesn't mean we're seeing evidence of
events that took place before the Big Bang. So says a trio of papers
taking aim at a recent claim that concentric rings of uniform
temperature within the cosmic microwave background--the radiation left
over from the Big Bang--might, in fact, be the signatures of black
holes colliding in a previous cosmic 'aeon' that existed before our
Universe.

Analogies are all well and good, but make sure the picture is correct first.
A simple analogy of a mistaken conclusion just piles error on top of error.

BillK