[ExI] How to survive forever

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Fri Jun 15 13:52:58 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 2:22 PM, spike  wrote:

>> ... On Behalf Of Anders Sandberg
>> Subject: Re: [ExI] How to survive forever
>> ...Well, the universe is open, so "long enough" looks like it is going to
>> happen.  Anders Sandberg
>
> I see the evidence that the universe is open, and I cannot refute it no
> matter how hard I try.  It is just that it is so sad.  I had so hoped the
> physicists could somehow pull off a miracle and close the universe, find
> some particle that would account for the mass, so that at some future time
> it could all come back, and we could do it all again and again.  But no,
> instead it will all be lost forever, within a mere few hundred billion
> years.  Sigh.  So sad is the life of the modern astrophysicist, and the
> ultimate fate of our visible universe, that awful big rip, so sad.

<https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Rip>

One of the implications of the increasing rate of the expansion of the
universe is that the size of the observable universe is continually
shrinking; the distance to the edge of the observable universe which
is moving away at the speed of light from any point moves ever closer
to us.

This means that there will be less content within our observable universe.
Doesn't this imply that less will be happening? These very unexpected
events will have less and less chance of happening. Time is not the
only variable. You need content as well.

And the time is not infinite. 22 billion years?

BillK