[ExI] Of Flying Cars and the Declining Rate of Profit

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Jun 19 16:20:31 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, F. C. Moulton <moulton at moulton.com> wrote:
> On 06/19/2012 07:50 AM, Kelly Anderson wrote:
>> On Mon, Jun 18, 2012 at 1:02 PM, F. C. Moulton <moulton at moulton.com>
wrote:
>>> On 06/18/2012 08:41 AM, Keith Henson wrote:
>>>>
>>>  ...  I am getting really sick and tired of conservatives
>>> claiming to be libertarian.
>>
>> Fred, I'm unaware of this being a litmus test for being a libertarian.
Kelly

The meta-observation here is that no one has ever really derived a good
universally accepted definition for libertarian, consequently it is a
mixture of a lot of different things.  Libertarian includes the
all-drugs-legal and no borders crowd, the government-hands-off-business
crowd, the government-hands-off-abortion (a position generally shared by
liberals) the usual less-government advocates (generally shared by modern
conservatives.)  But libertarianism seems to be a loose coalition of a lot
of different notions.  No one has the authority to exclude anyone else who
considers themselves libertarian, and even if they did, being libertarian
they would generally eschew authority, in which case they would reject
themselves.

If it is any comfort to libertarians, neither the liberals nor the
conservatives can derive a unified theory on defining themselves either.
They too are big sloppy coalitions, both of which are straining to remain
unified in our current era of cultural upheaval.