[ExI] self driving cars

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 03:50:25 UTC 2012

On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 11:03 PM, Emlyn <emlynoregan at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 16 May 2012 14:41, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> Kids in cars on their own will be really interesting. If you as a parent can
> trust the car to get them from A to B, and can even track where it is at any
> time, then why not? So suddenly, kids can get around.

I would love this, it would emancipate me from being a soccer mom, er
dad! Really good thinking on that one!

I just had a new thought... Roads are currently wide and paved all the
way across to compensate for the lack of precision of human drivers...
So you could build roads that were more like railroad rails if the
cars all followed exactly the same track all the time, which would
really result in some significant savings in the cost to build really
long roads, as you would only have to provide a surface that was much
smaller than what is currently required.

At intersections, you might have to have a little more pavement, and
you might have to have pavement to compensate for different sized
vehicles, but still the cost savings in pavement and maintenance could
be rather significant.

-Kelly

-Kelly