[ExI] temporary open season on turing

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Jun 23 16:49:48 UTC 2012

Happy Alan Turing day!

Norvig on Turing:

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/btl/what-happened-to-turings-thinking-machines/806
39?tag=mantle_skin;content

This being Alan Turing's 100th birthday, and he being a patron saint of
transhumanism, a proto-extropian in every way, I propose a temporary open
season on anything having to do with Alan Turing, to last all weekend or
longer if necessary.  If you post your favorite Turing link, it doesn't
count against the usual voluntary posting guideline of 5 posts per day
maximum.

I have Turing on my list of the greatest or most consequential minds of the
20th century.  Note that my use of consequential can be the consequences in
one's own life, rather than in changing the course of history.  If Turing
isn't in the top spot, he shares the top five with Einstein, Feynman,
Hofstadter and John Nash.