[ExI] Should the US fund life-extension research?

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Jun 24 23:47:08 UTC 2012

On 24/06/2012 23:39, Adrian Tymes wrote:
> You know what burns up and wastes a lot of the passion
> that we could be using to actually get stuff done?
>
> Internet petitions.

Very true. Tonis Tonisson pointed out in his excellent handbook "Power
as a hobby" that mass demonstrations don't impress people with power
much. They are a demonstration that somebody has organisational skill,
nothing more. What tends to get them impressed is when they get letters
from people of importance who support or object to something.

The book was written before the Internet, but the lesson is still true.
A million supporters or petitioners online isn't even a fraction as
impressive as a small march to Washington. The "organiser" is after all
just software and word-of-mouth.

However, while the impact of the letter from the titans of
industry/academia/religion/whatever is big, one should not underestimate
the impact of ordinary letters too. A friend worked at a newspaper
internal to a big political party, and he remarked that if they got two
independent letters to the editor about the same issue, they tended to
take notice and maybe run a story about it. There are leverage effects
in sending signals to the right places.

For life extension I think getting the people who set the agenda for the
NIH and NIA is a key project. If they can be made aware that a direct
attack on ageing solves a lot of their problems and that a lot of
important people care about the issue, then they might put some pressure
on actual research on fixing ageing and not just stopgap measures.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute