[ExI] now + 10k

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 02:41:30 UTC 2012

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 7:59 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> An offlist discussion has me thinking about how attitudes are shaped by our
> vision of what this world will look like 10k years from now.  I speculate
> that most readers of this list have a different vision of that world than
> normal people.  So I challenge you to an experiment.  Next time you talk to
> friends, family, neighbors, etc, normal sorts, have them describe what they
> see as the world ten millennia from now.  What did you find?

Would you get much agreement from even this list on now+0.1k ?  Many
of the optimists have a singularity scheduled before then.  The
realists would likely remind us accelerating change puts us at
increasing disadvantage to make useful prediction...  Given how far
off 1960 was at predicting 2010, how likely are we to predict another
50 years much less 100, 1000, or 10k?