[ExI] self driving cars in california

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 12 22:51:24 UTC 2012

I worry about the computers on board the self-driven cars, being able to
successfully navigate around the illogical and dangerous movements of human
controlled vehicles.  I want to see human driven cars largely be a thing of
the past, so tens of thousands of human lives can be saved in the United
States.  I'm so sick of the carnage going on, and constantly hearing how a
friend/acquaintance/relative lost a friend/acquaintance/relative in a
horrible car accident.  It seems like cancer, heart disease and car wrecks
are the killers of the people I care about.

I vaguely remember reading a wonderful sf short story from the seventies,
with a title something like "The Egg."  It tells the tale of a Tony
Stark-style character who after a near fatal car accident, builds an
egg-shaped car that holds the driver in a placenta-like chamber, so that
just about any collision can be survived.

John