[ExI] Atlantic article on human reengineering with very strong reactions

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 16 16:06:58 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 16, 2012 at 9:32 AM, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> Nothing will be happening in infrastructure. If anything, decaying infrastructure
> will make autopiloted personal VTOL electroflight worthwhile.

If we're looking for government to help in this "plan" the solution
must be something government can do (and do well):  raise taxes on
heavy vehicles.  We pay to keep them registered, we pay more each year
for the same car while the "standard" weight drops and eventually
it'll be too costly to operate the M1A1 (er Escalade/et al.) on public
roads.  Not working fast enough?  Waive the registration fee
altogether for cars at or below the goal weight.

This is a case where it's hard to make people get on board with a good
idea but we might be able to convince people to change if it
costs/hurts more to remain with the bad idea.