[ExI] Depressing set of memes

Keith Henson hkeithhenson at gmail.com
Wed Mar 28 02:46:46 UTC 2012

On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 4:17 PM,  Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> http://www.theoildrum.com/node/9046
>>>
>>> http://physics.ucsd.edu/do-the-math/2012/03/space-based-solar-power/#comment-5115

Snipets and my response.

> Consider such undertaking’s problems: another layer of complexity, unforeseen consequences , BAU delusion.

Worse than the consequences of not doing anything to replace dirty
fossil fuels with clean energy? SBSP isn’t any different than ground
solar or wind except it could be a lot less expensive.

> Earth provides, without us doing a single thing.

You are at least 8000 years out of date. The maximum human population
without “doing a single thing” is of the order of 10 million. There
are lots of things a disbursed population of that size can’t do.
Certainly not computers, maybe not even writing.

^^^^^^^^^

I don't know if this is the dominate meme set in our culture, but it's
energy-sapping and depressing.  It may be the biggest factor in the
downfall of American culture.  Any ideas on  how to counter it?

Keith