[ExI] Off Topic -- Opportunity to help out

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Fri May 4 03:43:44 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 3, 2012 at 1:06 PM, Dan <dan_ust at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Aside from being scammed, I'd also be afraid of supporting anything that
> might have an anti-gay agenda. This is Uganda, after all. (Truth be told,
> too, my finances recently took a bit of a dip, so I can't actually provide
> much in the way of donations at this time.)

One of the more rewarding aspects of this for me has been that while
these people are Christians, they have accepted the fact that I am not
without judgement. I haven't heard anything anti-gay, but that doesn't
mean there isn't that sort of teaching as the majority of Christian
faiths are anti-homosexual activities...

Anyway, this was never intended as a strong armed request, just
letting you know that I have found it personally quite rewarding and
allowing anyone who would want to to also participate. Giving to most
Charities is like paying taxes... you just don't know where the money
goes. In this case, I know exactly where it's going and exactly how it
is benefiting one young man.

The entire school now knows that one of very few people willing to
help one of theirs is not a Christian. I think that has a positive
impact on their views of atheism and atheists. God certainly isn't
helping these kids.

And, as I said before, I am way past the point of thinking I'm being scammed.

I am naive, there is no question about it. I picked up a hitchhiker
last week in Nevada and got robbed by him... so there is no question
that I have an unfounded optimism about much of humanity. I forget
that not everyone is as enlightened as the members of this mailing
list...  Nevertheless, I can imagine that some day I might pick up a
hitchhiker again. Maybe. It might be a while though... :-)

-Kelly