[ExI] Wash post comment

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue May 8 13:03:30 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 07, 2012 at 09:38:52PM -0700, Keith Henson wrote:
> It's a shame the climate debate became so polarized.  No matter if
> carbon contributes to some kind of climate change or not, energy *is*
> getting more expensive.  Anyone who fills up at the pump should be
> able to agree that we really need to bring energy cost down.
>
> That really can't be done with fossil fuels.  What's left is under
> deep water or otherwise expensive to get out.
>
> Of all the possible sources of energy, solar is the best, but it's
> awful dilute, intermittent and costs a lot to collect it.

This is incorrect. Flux upon outer skin of structures allows
self-powering structures with today's technology. EROEI of
thin-film is at 40:1 already, with the potential of reaching
100:1 in a couple decades.

What we need now is to spend cash on panel surface and infrastructure.
There is no way around that other than spend a >TUSD/annually on it,
world-wide. The longer you wait, the more you have to spend.

If you wait long enough, there's no resouces in the world to prevent
world energy hunger. Literally so.

There's nothing to discuss. Just execute. Or, die.