[ExI] battle tanks to a five yr old

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue May 8 16:22:41 UTC 2012

On Tue, May 08, 2012 at 06:12:23PM +0200, Stefano Vaj wrote:

> > Assassination is the ultimate in asymmetric warfare.
> >

> This may well be the case, but I have the impression myself that it is not
> so fashionable these days. A sucide attack, even though it may appear a
> horrible waste in comparison with a sniper, Jackal-like shooting, may have
> a higher propaganda and motivational value and attract less antipathy for
> the attacker, who, after all, literally puts his or her life in line for
> the cause.

The nice part of drone warfare is that it works both ways. And we do
have enough onboard power for smartphones to function even with jammed
GPS and cellular. Dead reckoning, optical flow and terrain matching
(once the province of cruise missiles) from public data or prior
digitization missions as well as individual biometrics recognition
(detonation keyed to recipient) are definitely dual-use.

Hell, we have 400 USD quadcopter toys which automatically navigate
a preprogrammed course with GPS already. What do they think 100 g of C4
dropped on top of your head will do?