[ExI] Cryonics Hall of Fame

david pizer pizerdavid at yahoo.com
Thu May 10 21:38:01 UTC 2012

Mike Darwin made some interesting comments recently about what makes a truly good and prestigious award.  I think they are worth repeating and commenting on, and looking for even more feedback.

MIKE SAID:  "  I'm not a big fan of awards, in general, mostly because they are so commonplace it beggars the imagination.  (He then gave several examples).

DAVID:  Awards can be meaningless unless the process of how they are come by is well thought out, and I do think that we cryonicists need to do some positive things to honor those who have contributed so much to cryonics, which is, of course, the technology that many of us are counting on for our possible survival.

MIKE SAID:  "What makes a truly good and prestigious award?"  and he answered with:   "Genuine material benefit to the awardee."

DAVID:  I had not thought of that, but I think that is something we cryonicists, if we do establish a Cryonics Hall of Fame, should seriously consider.  The sum of $1,000 was suggested.  The Society for Venturism, if we manage the affair for the whole cryonics movement, could contribute that amount each year, and even raise the amount each year over time.

One of the problems is how to give the money to the winner if she is already in suspension.   There are two prizes a hall of Fame can bestow on one or many recipients each year:  Induction into the Hall of Fame, and A Cash Prize.   I think there could be recognition and induction into the Cryonics Hall of Fame for those still "alive" by current standards and those who are already in suspension each year, but just one cash award for one living person each year, perhaps to use for cryonics work, or to donate to their favorite charity, of for whatever they want to use it for.

The cryonics community certainly needs more input on this idea.

MIKE SAID:  "They must be based on genuine performance and Merritt as judged by people who matter in the field of endeavor."

DAVID: I think this point is well taken.    Since the field of those signed up and funded for cryonics is so small at present, perhaps WE could be the people who matter in the field of endeavor and WE should be the ones to do the voting.   As cryonics grows to where it should in the near future and we one day have many thousands of cryonicists, then we might consider changing how the voting is done.

MIKE SAID:  "... it might be wise to spell out what the nature and scope of the body of work has to be to even be considered."

DAVID:  It would be interesting to see some examples that might be considered, perhaps work in research, public relations, management, support of the movement in general and other valuable efforts could have seperate catagories?

 DAVID CONCLUDING:  Since the possibility of establishing a Cryonics Hall of Fame is one topic that will be considered at the upcoming Venturist Cryonics Conference, I am looking for ideas about this subject and asking for them in place where I believe there are people who are interested and could have some valuable suggestions.

Any ideas, discussions, criticisms, debates or praise for or against the creating of the Cryonics Hall of Fame are hereby solicited.

David Pizer