[ExI] De-Orbiting Gold

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun May 20 20:33:15 UTC 2012

On 20/05/2012 19:08, BillK wrote:
> Nobody will be allowed to send a large object towards earth with the
> intention of aerobraking it into orbit. Safety precautions would have
> to assume the worst case scenario that something could go wrong and
> the asteroid might dive straight into the atmosphere. Energy = mass x
> velocity.

Energy = 0.5 mass x velocity ^2 ! Always remember that square. Speed
kills. And in space everything moves fast, even when it seems to be
gently going nowhere.

> I think Spike's 7 meter total diameter is too big. You don't want
> anything that makes a crater.  :)

I was thinking that too. After all, dumping it on the White House, the
Great Hall of the People or Wall Street might have some consequences...
and hence blackmail potential.

This is one of the big issues with private space flight and space
industrialisation. It also means that we are privatizing weapons of mass
destruction. After all, a ballistic missile is just a spacecraft with an
Earth-intersecting orbit and any ground delivery system can deliver
other things than gold. It might not be an argument against space, but
it certainly implies that we should want to think through how to keep
these capabilities from being misused.

(The standard libertarian argument that private space companies would
not misbehave because they would lose customers only works if we are
assuming a single global market. If the misbehaving company doesn't have
any business with (say) North Korea and drops an ore load on Pyongyang
normal market mechanisms would be weak in punishing them for it. In the
real world they would of course be punished by various state actors
acting in an international system. But it is not entirely clear that
this fixes the problem since now companies aligned with some of the
great powers would have a chance to act with impunity - especially if
governments are their main customers rather than individual citizens or
other companies.)

I think energy (either beamed or He3 is we ever get fusion anywhere) is
the main thing to export Earthside. Maybe platinum since it might have
unique catalytic properties (I dare the nanotechnologists to beat this
one!) and is very rare on Earth compared to space (hence the mines in
the Sudbury impact basin). Most other compounds that can be extracted
are valuable mostly because they are matter up there, not because they
would sell at high prices down here.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute