[ExI] De-Orbiting Gold

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue May 22 20:19:40 UTC 2012

Subject: Re: [ExI] De-Orbiting Gold

On Monday, May 21, 2012 4:29 PM spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>> ... worthwhile space
> goal: take any existing space material... and
> process it into something else, anything useful... spike

>...This, of course, does not resolve the problem of existing junk or the
engineering problem of how to both avoid such dumping or deal with it
afterwards.  Dan

If we figure out how to process it into something else, space junk becomes
enormously valuable.  The dumping of junk in orbit becomes more analogous to
going out to the garbage dump and giving away money.  Of course we now have
a new problem: the nations that dumped the junk to start with want to claim
it again.