[ExI] Invitation to connect on LinkedIn

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu May 24 07:00:53 UTC 2012

On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 3:12 AM, Stathis Papaioannou wrote:

> I'm not Stephan.
>
> On Thu, May 24, 2012 at 11:50 AM, Kevin Haskell via LinkedIn
> <member at linkedin.com> wrote:
>>
>> LinkedIn
>> Kevin Haskell requested to add you as a connection on LinkedIn:
>>
>> Stephan,
>> I'd like to add you to my professional network on LinkedIn.

So far as I can tell this is a genuine message from Linkedin, just
sent to the wrong email address.

But there have been many fake invites pretending to be from social
sites like Linkedin. When you click on the Accept or View invitation
link, it takes you to a fake site which within a few seconds infects
your (Windows) PC with a virus.
See this article for more information.
<http://www.linkedinpersonaltrainer.com/2012/02/21/virus-threat-through-fake-linkedin-email/>

You should hover your mouse over any links in an email to see what the
actual link is, as it can be very different to that shown in the
email. You can also scan the linked site for viruses before going
there
Via Virustotal -  <https://www.virustotal.com/ >
Or if you are a Linkedin member, you can go direct to Linkedin and
check your messages there.

Apart from virus infections, Linkedin (and other social site members)
need to also watch out for phishing 'friend' requests from our friends
in Nigeria. Some people suggest never accepting 'friend' requests from
people you don't know in Real Life (TM), but you might miss out on
some useful / interesting contacts. You should at least check them out
first.

Best wishes, BillK