[ExI] Bringing new life to dead matter

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Mon May 28 19:03:19 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 12:43 PM, Kelly Anderson <kellycoinguy at gmail.com>wrote:

> I think I draw the line at the beings that have some kind of central
> nervous system and those that don't. I do not believe that amoebas
> have anything approaching consciousness. Dogs, cats, yes. Maybe even
> sea stars. And then you are at a quantitative difference, a huge one
> to be sure... but without a brain, I don't know how you could claim
> it.

> So any kind of reflex is consciousness? Really?
>

> Consciousness requires emergence, emergence requires energy, and
> patterns of behavior, not just wave functions, but responses to wave
> functions other than just following the basic laws of physics. If you
> accept Gaia, then you have to accept that the entire universe and
> multiverse are conscious too.

> Do you have ONE SHRED of evidence to back up this claim?

You have just as little evidence.  I believe the universe, multiverse, and
anything involving energy exchanging/encoding information between physical
memory systems--chemical reactions, light travelling across the universe,
gravity uniting bodies--are conscious. There is nowhere you learned that
consciousness requires emergence except by the beliefs that are held today.
 A CNS is used for sapience, not sentience--they have different names for a
reason.