[ExI] Bringing new life to dead matter

Alfio Puglisi alfio.puglisi at gmail.com
Mon May 28 20:11:42 UTC 2012

On Mon, May 28, 2012 at 9:37 PM, Will Steinberg <steinberg.will at gmail.com>wrote:

> David,
>
> I agree if your 'consciousness' is Edelman's secondary consciousness.
> However, I think his primary consciousness is related to all methods of
> information transfer (motion) between memory (matter whose physical makeup
> allows you to determine its past states).
> On May 28, 2012 2:25 PM, "david pizer" <pizerdavid at yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> Consciousness arises from the human brain's ability to make maps of
>> things using neural pathways.
>>
>> [...]
>>

> *"feeling itself feeling its maps".*  It was at that point when the brain
>> mapped itself reading its  maps that the brain became aware of its self and
>> consciousness in humans was born.

Is anyone here familiar with these books by Antonio Damasio?

"Descartes' Error"
"The Feeling of What Happens"

It's a new field for me and I am starting to read these books, which from
first impression happen to relate quite closely to the concepts outlined
above of "feeling itself feeling its maps", and maps of maps and so on...
but I have no idea whether what I am reading is the bleeding edge, or
classic old stuff relegated into the background since lotsa time ago, or
some lone scientist's brilliant idea which was since discarded and
consigned to the dustbin.

Alfio