[ExI] Peak Oil -- Amory Lovins

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Wed May 30 15:44:58 UTC 2012

Amory Lovins is the president of Rocky Mountain Institute
(http://www.rmi.org). RMI is an organization that is hired by fortune
500 companies, including Walmart, to increase energy efficiencies and
provide energy forecasts. He said (in his recently published TED talk)
that we will indeed reach peak oil in 2016. However, the peak he is
talking about is peak demand, not peak supply. His contention is that
oil is becoming uncompetitive prior to becoming unavailable.

I have never heard this assertion before, and I thought it would be
interesting to the list as we have discussed peak oil only from the
supply side. Amory is a VERY smart guy, and extremely well informed.
He has a history of predicting the future of energy that is similar to
Kurzweil's for tech. I don't think he can be dismissed as a crack pot.
He might be wrong, but he's been right in the past, so it's hard to
dismiss him out of hand.

His whole talk was very interesting. He clearly is optimistic, but
aside from that, he has a real plan to change things, and he does
change things. The future is what we make of it.

I'd be interested in what the gloom and doom crowd would have to say

-Kelly