[ExI] Bringing new life to dead matter

Will Steinberg steinberg.will at gmail.com
Thu May 31 18:29:07 UTC 2012

Kelly, I just think if you're willing to go as far as sea stars having
*some* consciousness then I don't think it's so hard to give plants, say, a
millionth of that.  If a brain is just the epitome of the entity-like
organizational center, could not plants' simpler informational organization
give them consciousness?

Yes indeed the argument seems unwinnable for now.  And I will admit I have
been blowing off nervous systems so far--they are definitely the centers of
the most consciousness I have observed around be.  I only ask that,
perhaps, in the life of a tree, a forest, of the genetic evolution of all
plant life, or in the cyclical transcription needed to send to right
signals to open and close the flower, the stoma...that perhaps somewhere in
this great chorus, on some time scale, there is a brief blinking iotum of
"perception."