[ExI] Life @ Playstation

Tomasz Rola rtomek at ceti.pl
Sun Nov 4 03:07:36 UTC 2012

On Sat, 3 Nov 2012, Stefano Vaj wrote:

> Veeeeeeeeeeeeery disappointing.
> http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/10/21/ps3-system-software-update-v4-30/
>
> And one cannot really find information over the Net as to "why".

My very wild guess, PS3 is no longer significant for this kind of task.

Based on some wikipedia reading:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folding@home

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_with_PlayStation

An "old new" version of F at H for PS could deliver about (1500000 GFlops /
52000 users) ~= 29 GFlops per one PS3. Five years ago, this was
significant. Today this is not so impressive, when compared to new CPUs,
or even old ones (green is for GFlops):

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fx-8150-zambezi-bulldozer-990fx,3043-14.html

I would expect even better performance from GPUs. Given that they have a
deadline for every workunit, a slower cpu is going to decrease
performance of the whole project.

As I say, just a guess.

Regards,
Tomasz Rola