[ExI] pets, mirrors and cryonics

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 17:09:43 UTC 2012

Yesterday I encountered this article:

In-sync brain waves hold memory of objects just seen

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2012-11/niom-ibw110212.php

It jives nicely with my working hypothesis for the essential
nature/source/mechanism of consciousness: that it is the dynamically
interactive superposition of all currently active synchronies(?). A
"chorus of synchronies" as it were.

By extension, within this exceedingly provisional model the AD
deficits would be the consequence of blocked/failed sychronies.

Regarding the possibility of "recovering" memories apparently lost, as
demonstrated by the chronic and increasing cognitive deficits, I would
direct your attention to the phenomenon of intermittent lucidity,
which suggests to me that perhaps, in addition to morphological
"damage", a variable biochemical environment drops "below" some
minimum threshold for robust cognitive function.

To such semi-random speculations, I can now add another "data point.
Spike's AD patient remembered with clarity (my read) the person's
face, name, and the contextual circumstances of a brief (but
apparently memorable) encounter twenty years back.  What is the
difference between this arcane, virtually-never-accessed, yet robust
memory, and the high-traffic fading-fast memories of day to day?
First guess: high-traffic vs low-traffic.  Could the higher level of
metabolic activity in AD-challenged neurons correlate with a more
rapid accumulation of metabolic by-products -- amyloid beta and tau
tangles -- and thus their more rapid decline? .

Just some thoughts.

As always Spike, my brother, best wishes.

Jeff