[ExI] Gifted children

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Sun Nov 4 18:35:56 UTC 2012

On Sun, Nov 4, 2012 at 10:03 AM, James Clement <clementlawyer at gmail.com> wrote:
> In the US,
> geniuses are identified very early on in school, and primed to work for the
> establishment (military Intel., NSA, high-tech defense contractors, etc.).

This is laughably wrong.

Look up "gifted children".  Identification often lags, and smart
children tend to suffer.  Very, very few get primed as you say,
usually only if their parents work for military intel/NSA/defense
contractors.

Mensa, and in particular the Mensa Educational Research
Foundation, has a *lot* of material on this (most of it from
self-interest: they're trying to figure out how to raise their own
high-IQ kids) if you are interested.

> Most geniuses of this caliber are not turned on by money or power, but
> generally want to facilitate making their vision of the future happen. Most
> of the ones I've met are humanitarian types.

This, on the other hand, is true.  Which is one of the reasons
why they tend not to wind up as presidents, CEOs, or otherrwise
in positions of power.