[ExI] Gifted children

Sondre Bjellås sondre-list at bjellas.com
Wed Nov 7 12:09:47 UTC 2012

If we get our first proper right-wing government in the next election, the
situation might improve in the coming years, but I have my doubts. What I
do think will happen, is advances to online schooling and education. With
kids growing up in rural places who learn a lot from computers (and
smartphones) from when they are young, there should probably be a decent
market to fulfill with online classrooms. Just think about the amount of
kids growing up in poor families and conditions around the world, they can
still get hold of cheap computers and smartphones and kick-start their own
educations wherever they are. But it can only take you so far...

A friend of mine was gifted as a child. He was put in a class with only
troubled kids. I can promise you, it was not good for him ;-)

Thanks,
Sondre

On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 12:51 PM, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Sondre Bjellås  wrote:
> > We live in Norway and our daughter is still only 19+ months old, but
> we've
> > already started thinking about what we can do for her in regards to
> > schooling. Here in Norway, there are virtually no private alternatives
> other
> > than religious schools. The public schools are some of the worst in the
> > world and Norwegians score poorly in global tests.
> >
> > Which country would be a good alternative where one would be able to get
> > visa, permanent residency?
> >
> <snip>
> >
> > I'm sorry for ranting on like this, but my concern is that she will be
> > extremely bored at school when she's 6 as I'm sure she will be ahead of
> the
> > average. Or, she might not, we love her anyhow! :-) Wouldn't want to
> > home-school her, she would be better off with lots of other kids around.
> > What would your suggestions be as parents on your own?
> >

> Moving to a different country is not a trivial task. I'd spend more
> time investigating Norway and Sweden educational possibilities. It may
> only mean moving nearer a better school in Norway. You just need to
> find it.
>
> Remember - you are not alone. There must be hundreds (at least) gifted
> children in Norway /Sweden.
> Use the web and contacts to find out what other parents are doing, -
> clubs, societies, special schools, advanced courses, etc.
>
> Best wishes, BillK

Sondre Bjellås
http://www.sondreb.com/