[ExI] newspeak again

Eric Messick eric at m056832107.syzygy.com
Tue Nov 13 20:00:14 UTC 2012

><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special_English>

Ok, I can no longer resist posting the obligatory xkcd for this:

http://xkcd.com/1133/

It is a diagram of "The only space car that's taken anyone to another
world (explained using only the ten hundred words people use the most
often)."

Apparently "thousand" isn't on the list...

It would be interesting to see some sort of graph for a variety of
sources (like network news broadcasts, for example) showing how many
words they use, and how often unusual words show up.  I haven't
thought about it enough to figure out exactly what measure would work
best for the graph.  Perhaps it would be a monotonically decreasing
graph of the count of each word, sorted by frequency of use.  Simple
sources would have a narrow steep spike with no tail.

-eric