[ExI] How PISA surveys systematically overestimate Finland

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Wed Nov 14 12:53:30 UTC 2012

On 13/11/2012 05:23, spike wrote:
> Being a poster-child example of an English-as-only-language speaker, I
> have often wondered why it is we have so many different words for the
> same thing. Seems like such a waste of perfectly good neurons to
> remember them all.

But it is so fun to use a quirky word! Sometimes it can produce real
poetry of language, sometimes it is just droll.

I learned from Keith that when you count technical terms and compounds,
language lists of English find several million words. That is almost
like the number of species in the world: imagine if each species also
got to carry it's own word. Humans and lions of course just carry
"human" and "lion", but above the "deliberately"-bird soars and in the
undergrowth there are the "abligurition" beetles, "spectroradiometer"
ants and the "sabrage" fungus.

But this is of couse just my usual ultracrepidarian opinion.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute