[ExI] Conscientious objections

Max More max at maxmore.com
Wed Nov 14 21:41:37 UTC 2012

On Wed, Nov 14, 2012 at 12:00 PM, Adrian Tymes <atymes at gmail.com> wrote:

> Further, by refusing to vote in US elections just because the
> Presidential race is not significantly affected by single votes, that
> means one also does not vote in state and local races, where one
> vote can have more of an effect.
>
> For example, California's Proposition 37 - which would have
> required vague but scary labeling of many GMO foods, and was
> basically anti-science - lost 4,845,291 to 4,285,787.  That's about
> 560K difference - and while, yes, 1/560K is still not much, it's far
> more impact than any single vote in California had on the
> Presidential race.

I'm not opposed to voting for or against Propositions, where they may be a
much closer margin and fewer voters. This is also a more consent-rich vote,
since it's on a single issue, rather than support for a person or party.

I don't see voting/not-voting in such black and white terms -- as you
seemed to, given your use of "hypocrisy" and so on. Some of my best friends
vote in presidential elections. Your opposition to those of us who won't
vote (in general elections) presumably is not as strong as this woman's:

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/police-woman-runs-husband-voting-17716450#.UKQP14ZU2So

--Max

--
Max More, PhD