[ExI] bees again

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Sat Nov 17 18:16:03 UTC 2012

> Squash
> bees nest in
> the ground near to squash plants and tilling the ground
> and spraying
> insecticide will probably kill them off. So modern farming
> practice
> often means that farmers have to bring in hives of honey
> bees to make
> sure all their plants get pollinated.

Yes, this would be likely.

Although my local bee keepers are having trouble with
their hives, plants are being pollinated by beetles, ants,
native bees, moths, butterflies.  I saw very few honeybees
this summer, but it was the best ever for green beans,
yellow squash, and tomatoes.... not to mention cucumbers
and nasturtiums and moonflowers. :)

Tilling the ground has a definite downside.  I don't do it.

But I'm small time gardening, not agri-business.

Regards,
MB