[ExI] Insulin pump (artificial pancreas)

Charlie Stross charlie.stross at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 19:15:14 UTC 2012

Secondary point: you really want a medical device like this to be bulletproof! It's pumping insulin into you -- if something goes wrong it can potentially put you in a coma or kill you.

I would be very wary of allowing an external interface such as an android app to control (as opposed to monitor) such a device. Given the prevalence of malware already afflicting in-hospital computer controlled appliances, and the risks entailed in software updates to such devices (which is why they tend to be overrun by malware -- they're running old, unpatched OS editions because you can't patch them without having to recertify the entire system as medically safe), why go looking for trouble?

A standard API to allow smartphones to monitor your insulin pump, graph blood glucose levels and flow rates, and so on, would be a good idea. But allowing unsecured external computers to control it? That's just asking for malware that holds you to ransom -- for your life!

-- Charlie