[ExI] Viking toxicology (Was: atheists on the elevator)

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Thu Nov 29 23:48:16 UTC 2012

The Vikings did know about poisons - there are lots of references to
venomous dragons, poisoned wells and suchlike, but the poisons seemed to
be mostly described as snake venom ("etter"). The berserkers getting
crazy on fly agaric is likely a myth. But no agricultural society will
be ignorant about the toxicity of some of the apparently edible berries
and plants they find around them.

 From my understanding of their culture, poisons belonged to the area of
dark, creepy magic, "sejd". Proper runic magic was fine: that was all
about poetry and learning, even if it was used to curse enemies. But
sejd was underhanded, foreign, shamanic and associated with witches from
Finland or further east - not the kind of thing a proper man or woman
ought to deal with (Sure, the gods Odin and Loki knew and used it, but
they were always a bit suspect... yup, the chief of the gods had a few
skeletons in the wardrobe)

Generally, Spike is right about the Viking disdain about magic. It might
be dangerous and worth fearing, but since a proper Viking warrior
ignores fear, you should charge in anyway. As one of the heroes said, a
good sword beats most magic.

(I guess we post-Vikings would say a good double-blind randomized trial
beats most magic.)

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute