[ExI] deep space again, was: RE: riots again

Alfio Puglisi alfio.puglisi at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 17:26:57 UTC 2012

On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 7:25 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> Regarding that deep space photo I posted a few days ago, I set that as my
> background on my computer.  Every time I close all my windows, I am
> suddenly
> staring at that awe-inspiring mind-boggling deep space photo, and I keep
> coming around to my firm conviction, there is just no way we are the only
> intelligence in this big old place.  Every blip and smudge of light on that
> picture is an unimaginably huge island of stars.  I just can't figure out
> why they aren't talking to us.  The notion of setting that photo as a
> background on your computer tends to alter one's attitude a bit.
>
> Here's the photo:
>

> http://www.space.com/17755-farthest-universe-view-hubble-space-telescope.htm
>
> Doesn't this photo make the Fermi paradox even more problematic?  Given
the ginormous number of stars out there, and given that, once you achieve
interstellar capability, extragalactic adventure is not that far away (i.e.
the distance to Andromeda is only 20x the diameter of our Milky Way, and
what's an order of magnitude between friends?), why don't we see even a
damned single photon out there that even remotely smells artificial? The
more we know about the cosmos, the more puzzling this problem becomes.

Alfio