[ExI] riots again

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Oct 2 03:41:33 UTC 2012

>... On Behalf Of Mike Dougherty

>> ...the continuation of civilization is a good and noble goal...

>...for some parts of the misnomer known as civilization.  Mostly we're just
waiting for the human pressure vessel to finally explode... Mike

While suffering through this thread, a thought occurred to me as a result of
Mike's comment.

For perhaps a hundred thousand generations of humans in our present form,
with essentially our current capabilities, humans have formed societies that
have been in equilibrium.  Each generation lived a life very little
different from their grandparents and their grandchildren.  Now in only the
past 20 to 30 generations or so, out of a hundred thousand, at least part of
humanity is wildly out of equilibrium.  We are so far out of any conceivable
equilibrium, we can't even imagine what that final equilibrium will look
like.  Even today, we have societies that were in a stasis, and would have
stayed there, except for contact with a portion of humanity which is clearly
not in stasis and are horrified at the notion of being in anything like
stasis or equilibrium, for that means no change and no progress.  Now very
suddenly, we humans are going somewhere.  We don't know where exactly, and
we don't know when we will get there, but we are going somewhere.

In regard to Mike's notion, I would contend that the human pressure vessel
has already exploded.