[ExI] deep space again, was: RE: riots again

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 14:43:24 UTC 2012

On 2 October 2012 19:30, Alfio Puglisi <alfio.puglisi at gmail.com> wrote:

> It seems quite obvious that, for some reason, technology does not reach
> megascale proportions. I don't know, maybe when you get to the scale at
> which self-gravity is significant, it might be hard to go on. Or the
> intervention is subtle enough that what we think is an untouched landscape
> is in fact a byproduct of it. Or maybe there's no general need for such
> wide scale activity, for reasons we still have to discover. Who knows.

If we for "Intelligence" mean "computation" - the only meaning that I
consider rigorous and generalised enough - I believe it to be pervasive in
the universe, so that in fashion pan-psychism is ultimately true.

OTOH, I am inclined to share Wolfram's view that our views on what we can
find out there are exceedingly parochial and anthropomorphic, the features
of our species and of its cultures being ones of a spaceset of alternatives
so huge that it dwarves the dimensions of our lightcone itself.

--
Stefano Vaj