[ExI] Reason for religions, was riots

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 14:57:29 UTC 2012

On 1 October 2012 23:48, Mirco Romanato <painlord2k at libero.it> wrote:

> This is a mind experiment and I agree to the conclusions, but it have some
> implicit conditions in it making it worthy. For example, the implicit
> condition is "there is no way for the weakest group to leave for greener
> pastures". Another condition is "one group is totally genetically unrelated
> with the other". Another condition is "there are no other threat to them
> able to overcome them after they weaken themselves with a war".

Yup. As much as my ideas strongly differ from Mirco's with regard to at
least some forms of monotheism, "religion" in the rigorous and broadest
sense is simply a feature of (working, viable) human societies, like
economy, or politics.

In turn, religion may foster intra-group or inter-group competition and/or
cooperation, which are both very plausible strategies which make or make
not sense depending on the circumstances and are pretty likely here to
stay, including in the most extreme posthuman scenario, until Game Theory
and Darwinism will hold true.

The real issue, IMHO, is that not all religions were created equal.

I obviously have, for instance, a strong and legitimate preference for a
society based on my values and worldview (say, transhumanism), not only
because they are mine, so that their success coincides to some extent with
my own, but because otherwise I would have already changed them. :-)

--
Stefano Vaj