[ExI] The Dementia Plague

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Oct 5 16:06:45 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of BillK

>>... "together comprise the most common forms of dementia at autopsy in
community-based studies."
----

>...So, if we are going to cure ageing to give us longer lives, we also have
to cure all the diseases associated with ageing...BillK

Oh my this topic is so very distressing, considering the conclusion I have
reluctantly drawn from watching family members go thru the horrifying
decline and the resulting severe financial impact to the family.  When we
look at the fact that one who is in AD will have a quality of life that
quickly approaches zero or negative, and threatens to ruin everything you
have worked for your entire life, bankrupt one's one family for instance,
devouring the funds one's own grandchildren need for college and one's
cryonic preservation funds for instance, in return for almost nothing, one
is compelled to an uncomfortable conclusion.  What one needs at that point
is some form of suicide which leaves the brain as intact as possible.

Until we come up with some kind of pharmaceutical hope for AD patients, I
must conclude that some means of chemically induced final act is one's best
hope for promoting that which matters most.

Damn.