[ExI] Consequentialist world improvement

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 19:05:27 UTC 2012

On Sun, Oct 7, 2012 at 6:32 PM, spike wrote:
> OK, cool, we have counterclaims which can be theoretically tested, but only
> if we have access to actual data regarding cause of death.

CDC have USA stats for accidents.

Some quotes:
Each year, one in every three adults age 65 and older falls. Falls can
cause moderate to severe injuries, such as hip fractures and head
injuries, and can increase the risk of early death. Fortunately, falls
are a public health problem that is largely preventable.
-----------

So falls are very common in the elderly and it is a known public
health problem that they are actively trying to improve.

About half of elderly falls are in the home. Therefore falls are just
as common in places where there are no smoke alarms.

CDC publish check lists of things to watch out for in the home to
prevent falls. Smoke alarms are not mentioned.
e.g.
Make their homes safer by reducing tripping hazards, adding grab bars
inside and outside the tub or shower and next to the toilet, adding
railings on both sides of stairways and improving the lighting in
their homes.

I am not saying that an elder attempting to change a smoke alarm
battery is not dangerous. I am claiming it is a very rare event that
few seniors would even attempt.
(And tell MB to stop standing on a chair in the kitchen!).  :)

BillK