[ExI] Off topic: Cryonics and Beauty?

Kevin G Haskell kgh1kgh2 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 07:54:52 UTC 2012

On Oct 7, 2012, Spike wrote:

>>The extropy list has always been intentionally open-ended as opposed to
the
more rigorously controlled, closely moderated and focused groups, some of
which were formed as specifically focused spin-offs from extropy.  About ten
years ago we had for a while a group who discussed mathematical special
interests.  That was cool.  We had a focused extropy astronomy group too,
both of which had about a dozen participants and lasted a few months.  There
was another one we still don't discuss openly.  In all three of those cases,
the subject matter was strictly controlled.  On the main list, we have
always intentionally kept it open to subjects only vaguely related to
transhumanism.

I used to hang out on the MENSA groups back in the mid 90s, and they did
something kind of similar: had a main discussion group, which was all over
the map, and a bunch of focus groups.  For some time, I was under the
mistaken impression that ExI was a MENSA spinoff group, but they didn't seem
to know of us, and had surprisingly little interest in what we were doing
over here.  So eventually I quit hanging out there.

Regarding the openness of the main ExI-chat list, I see no compelling reason
to change it.  Other thoughts?

spike<<

<<Interesting, Spike.  Why is it that after all of this time, there are so
few people still openly discussing the
concepts of what may (or may no longer be called) Extropianism, and now is
called Transhumanism, and in
which so few even call themselves?  Do you think most people who would
otherwise call themselves Extropians
or Transhumanists hide their self-identification for professional reasons?
Meaning, one can say "Yes, I study
Astronomy," but I'm not "Extropian" or "Transhumanist" because those people
are some sort of cult"?

After all of these decades, are the smart ones hiding and just doing the
work? Should we be hiding, too? Do we know peopple even in
this group who refuse to identify themselves as Extropians, Transhumanist,
or even with some basic political philosophy?

Kevin>>

--
 * Tweet me on Twitter! - @*KevinGHaskell