[ExI] The Dementia Plague

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Tue Oct 9 18:45:51 UTC 2012

On 09/10/2012 14:09, Dave Sill wrote:
> <http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/09/25/bittman-is-alzheimers-type-3-diabetes/>/The
> idea that Alzheimer's might be Type 3 diabetes has been around since
> 2005, but the connection between poor diet and Alzheimer's is becoming
> more convincing/

Note that this still does not merit the term "type 3 diabetes" - it is a
cringeworthy distortion of what we know, a bit like calling ageing "AIDS
type 2" (you do acquire immunodeficiency from it). Nobody outside the
popular press (of which New Scientist is part) uses the term seriously.

> /
> What's new is the thought that while diabetes doesn't "cause"
> Alzheimer's, they have the same root: an over consumption of those
> "foods" that mess with insulin's many roles.
> /

Evidence please. It is not a bad hypothesis, but it takes more than
correlation to show anything.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute